- Eggplant planting process:
- How to choose eggplant seeds
- The best varieties of eggplant
- The most productive varieties for planting in open ground
- The best varieties of eggplant for growing in a greenhouse
- Eggplant varieties suitable for growing in Siberia and the Urals :
- Eggplant varieties for open ground, early varieties, multi-colored varieties
- Eggplant “Vakula” – an early ripe variety for open ground
- Mid-early variety of eggplant “Sancho Panza”
- High-yielding and lying eggplant “Negus”
- Epic eggplant
- Eggplant “Clorinda”
- Eggplant “Black Beauty”
- unusual eggplant
Eggplant planting process:
- The earth must be dug deep and fertilized in large quantities. The ridge is made about 1 m wide with a height of 30 cm.
- Before planting seedlings, it is recommended to loosen the plots and treat the soil with Effecton fertilizer, or hot mullein.
- Seeds are planted in prepared boxes, which are kept in warm and lit conditions. Sowing is carried out from the second decade of March, or depending on the assortment.
- Seedlings are planted in unprotected soil with the arrival of stable weather at a temperature not lower than + 15 ° C, from the second decade of May.
- When planning a planting scheme, it is necessary to take into account the typical parameters of the bushes. For plants with small bushes, a distance of 30 cm will be enough, and for large ones – 50 cm.
- Try not to thicken the plantings, this will reduce the yield, row spacing should be from 60 to 90 cm.
- To avoid compaction of the soil after heavy rains, it must be loosened.
- Watering is carried out often and abundantly settled water.
- Top dressing is carried out 3 times per season. It is better to use slurry, chicken manure or mineral fertilizers.
- Weeding is carried out as needed and attention is paid to possible pests or diseases of the plant in order to have time to prevent crop losses.
- Bushes with eggplants are tied up and spud.
- It is recommended to make temporary shelters from the weather in the form of film arcs.
How to choose eggplant seeds
When choosing eggplant seed material, it is necessary to take into account some criteria:
- Vegetable ripening dates: late, mid-season and early.
- Choose varieties, taking into account the conditions of the local climate and the timing of sowing.
- Varietal qualities.
- According to the method of cultivation – open or closed ground.
- Appearance and taste.
The best varieties of eggplant
When choosing seeds for planting, it is necessary to take into account some conditions. Eggplant is a southern culture and especially needs warmth during the pollination period. For unprotected soil, varieties with short ripening periods are bought, which give high yields. Cultures with high precocity produce mature seed material for the next year of planting. The size of the bush should be of medium height or dwarf, with fairly good branching. Fruits can be of different shapes and sizes, the color is most often dark purple. Mid-season categories are also grown in open ground, only they do not have time to ripen to collect seeds.
The most productive varieties for planting in open ground
- Robin the Hood.
- Dwarf early. Maksik.
The best varieties of eggplant for growing in a greenhouse
A variety for growing a plant in a greenhouse can be divided into three groups according to the ripening time:
- Early stamps, maturing from 85 to 110 days: Balagur, Vakula, Fabina F1, Robin Hood, Bagheera, Violet Miracle F1, King of the North F1, Giselle F
- Medium species, with maturation periods from 110 to 130 days: Romantic, Namesake, City F1, Black handsome, Sancho Panza, Bumbo, Swan, Sailor, Fat master, Nutcracker, Alenka.
- Late articles, with maturation periods from 130 to 150 days: Sophia, Black Moon, White Night, Bull’s Heart F1, Esaul F
Eggplant varieties suitable for growing in Siberia and the Urals :
- Donetsk fruitful.
- Black handsome.
Eggplant varieties for open ground, early varieties, multi-colored varieties
For cultivation in unprotected soil, such classifications from three groups with different fruiting periods are suitable:
- Early ripe brands, with maturation periods from 85 to 110 days: Vakula, Balagur, Negus, Korean dwarf, Vera, Early dwarf, Fabina F1, King of the North F1, Mileda F
- Mid-season species, with maturation periods from 110 to 130 days: Bourgeois F1, Sancho Panza, Simferopol 12/105, Marzipan, Albatross, Surprise, Almaz.
- Late-ripening categories, with maturation periods from 130 to 150 days: Black handsome, Bull’s forehead, Mishutka,
Multi-colored varieties are very popular: decorative early-ripening hybrid “Golden Eggs”, high-yielding hybrid “Emerald”, early-ripening assortment “Green”, mid-season decorative and edible hybrid “Red Ruffled”, late-ripening hybrid of the carpal type “Mantle”.
Eggplant “Vakula” – an early ripe variety for open ground
The variety was bred by Russian breeders. The height of the bush ranges from 1.2 m to 2.2 m, with very rare thorns, which makes it easy to care for. Fruits well, and therefore, needs a garter. The yield can be from 1 m2 from 9.5 kg to 12.3 kg, therefore it is recommended to plant no more than 5 plants per 1 m2. Fruits with a mass of 100-400 g, ellipsoid beautiful shape, dark purple color with dense white pulp. The length of the fruit is from 17 to 20 cm with a diameter of about 10 cm. The ripening period is very early, technical maturity can occur in 95-100 days. The Vakula brand is characterized by a friendly and uniform ripening of the crop, which simplifies the task of picking vegetables. Endowed with good taste. It adapts well to various conditions, not only in greenhouses or open ground, but also in climatic regions.
Mid-early variety of eggplant “Sancho Panza”
The main distinguishing feature of this species is very large fruits, reaching a mass of up to 900 g and high yield. Plant height can reach up to 1.5 m in height, slightly branched without thorns. The fruits are spherical in shape, with an average of 500-600 gr, the surface is purple, the flesh is white. The vegetable has excellent taste. Advantages in growing eggplant “Sancho Panza”:
- The terms of fruit ripening are average, the expectation of the harvest begins at 120 – 130 days after the germination of the first shoots.
- Fruits of large size, excellent presentation and taste properties.
- It is universal in cooking: it can be preserved and used in all other forms.
- Resistant to diseases, in particular to spider mites and tobacco mosaic.
Vegetables of this type tolerate open ground and greenhouse greenhouses well. They ripen in mid-early terms, the crop is completely left for eating, since seed maturity does not occur, so they will have to be purchased again for the next planting season.
High-yielding and lying eggplant “Negus”
A distinctive feature of this variety is a super early harvest. From the appearance of the first shoots and ripening to full technical ripeness, only about 70-90 days pass. The bushes are small and compact, 50-60 cm high. When grown on an industrial scale, up to 45 tons of fruits can be harvested from 1 ha. The peculiarity of this class is that it is possible to influence the yield of vegetables and extend the growing season of the plant, with regular harvesting once a week.
The fruits by weight reach up to 300g, they are not very large, but quite a large number of them are formed on the bush. In shape, they are slightly barrel-shaped, rounded. The color of the skin is bright purple, the flesh is white with a delicate pleasant taste of a dense consistency. Grade Benefits:
- Very short ripening time of the crop, due to this it is suitable for the northern regions.
- You can make your own seeds. Highly resistant to transportation and long-term storage, very high yield.
- It is permissible to increase fruiting for a longer period.
- Versatile in cooking.
Epic eggplant should be attributed to early ripe hybrids. It thrives well outdoors and in greenhouses. Resistant to diseases and has a high yield of more than 5 kg per 1 m2. With excellent care, the fruits grow with a weight of 300 grams, a length of 21 cm and a diameter of 10 cm. The fruits are dark purple in color, drop-shaped, with rare spikes on the calyx. The vegetable is suitable for any dishes in cooking, its flesh is white with a pronounced taste. Plant height up to 90 cm, spreading bush and high yields may require a garter. Weak and backward ovaries are best removed. It is advisable not to leave more than 7 pieces of fruits on the plant, since the fruits are heavy and branches can break. Eggplant is grown with seedlings, the change is sown in mid-March. The beginning of the fruit bearing begins early, 2 months after planting the seedlings.
The hybrid belongs to early ripe varieties with high yield and large-fruited, the beginning of harvesting after 110 days from the date of planting, and continues until frost. The hybrid is resistant to diseases and adverse weather conditions, suitable for growing in greenhouses and in the open field.
The bush is large, sprawling, reaches a height of up to 170 cm. In connection with such large fruits, it is recommended that the plant be tied up. To increase productivity, it is necessary to form a bush.
The fruits are round, slightly flattened, with a weight of 400 g to 600 g. The skin of the hybrid is almost black, with a purple tint. The pulp is white, tender and not bitter. Eggplant is suitable for conservation for the winter and fresh. The shape of the fruit is convenient for preparing stuffed vegetables.
The culture is grown by seedlings, the beginning of planting seeds from about the end of January. Seeds germinate slowly on wet tissue, it is recommended to use growth stimulants. After they hatch, they are transplanted into a container for seedlings. This variety does not like to “roam” in pots, so it is better for him to prepare individual containers until transplanting to a permanent place. The optimum temperature will be +25°C during the day and +18°C at night.
The Dutch variety is characterized by mid-season ripening and high yields. The beginning of fruiting occurs 60 days after planting seedlings. Fruits of good quality, with excellent taste properties, do not bitter and do not contain seeds. Most often they are used for canning. The specificity of the color is distinguished by a change in color depending on the growing environment: a vegetable cultivated in the shade has a light skin. The yield reaches over 10 kg per bush.
It grows well in greenhouse conditions, but is also resistant to low temperatures. The plant has a massive stem, brushes with numerous flowers, the root system is powerful. With the advent of the first sprouts, picking is not carried out. Fruit parameters: length – 20-25 cm, weight 230-250 g, pear-shaped fruit, color depends on growing conditions: they can be from dark purple to light lilac, do not contain seeds. Sowing starts from the 20th of February. The bush has a semi-spreading shape with a height of 90 cm in greenhouse content, and with a height of up to 80 cm in open ground.
Eggplant “Black Beauty”
This varietal variety of vegetable is intended for both open and protected ground; it belongs to mid-season varieties. In the open field, harvesting begins at 120-149 days, grown in a greenhouse, you can start harvesting two weeks earlier. The variety tends to bear fruit in adverse conditions, resistant to many diseases. The color of the fruits is dark purple, the shape is elliptical, they grow up to 15 cm long and up to 12 cm in diameter. The vegetable pulp is without bitterness, tasty, cream-colored. In cooking, they are used in all ways: from canning to drying.
The Black Handsome culture is one of the most productive species; with proper care, up to 12.5 kg of crop can be harvested from 1 m2. More than 3 kg of vegetables are harvested from one bush per season. Grow the plant seedlings, from February to April. The specific timing of planting seeds directly depends on the further conditions of the individual. In greenhouse conditions, seedlings begin to be planted at the end of May, and plants are planted in open ground when stable comfortable weather is established with a temperature of at least 15 ° C.
This article will surprise many gardeners with its multiple harvest – from 4 to 6 pieces from one brush. Breeders, with their efforts, brought out a new type of vegetable fruiting – carpal, thanks to these qualities, it is possible to harvest from 50 to 100 pieces per bush, of course, with full observance of agrotechnical conditions and climatic norms. This plant needs support in the form of supports, because such a large number of fruits is difficult to hold. The plant reaches a height of more than 1 meter.
The fruits are bright purple in color, they are small, elongated and slightly rounded. The high-yielding variety “Balagur” allows you to remove from 1 m2 for the entire season from 6.7 to 7.3 kg of marketable fruits. Its skin is thin, the flesh is dense white, with a pronounced taste. The length of the fruit is 10-17 cm, weight 80-130 g with a diameter of 3-6 cm. The variety is characterized as early, technical ripeness occurs from 85 to 100 days with the appearance of the first signs of germination. Resistant to diseases, in particular to tobacco mosaic.
Breeders surprise with new types of crops, they have not only shapes and sizes that are not familiar to them, but also taste and size.
Most often, this type of vegetable is found in purple, but due to acclimatization to the local climate, white vegetables can be found.
- The new variety “Taste of Mushrooms” was bred by our fellow countrymen, it contains the taste and smell of mushrooms – champignons. It does not have seeds, the pulp is tender white. Perfectly tolerates transportation and storage. Fruits reach 200-250 gr, milky white. To be grown in a greenhouse and in open ground. Belongs to early-ripening classes, gives a harvest starting from 95 days.
- Variety “Icicle” is another pride of Russian breeders. It is classified as a mid-season variety, and it is suitable for cultivation both in greenhouses and in the open field. You can wait for the harvest on the 110th day from the date of planting the seeds. The name of the vegetable was given because of the similarity with the icicle, it is also snow-white, has an oblong and elongated shape. Eggplant has high taste characteristics, it can be preserved and pickled.
- Variety “Pink Flamingo” – lilac, it should be attributed to the middle classes. The length of the stem is up to 180 cm in height. On the plant, ovaries are formed in bunches of 3-5 fruits weighing up to 400g. The difference between this individual is the appearance – the shape of the fruit is elongated, with a bright pink-lilac tint. Pulp without bitterness and seeds, white.
- The fruit of the “Emerald” variety in full maturity will be colored green. It belongs to the early maturing brands, it is grown in the open field and in the greenhouse. The bushes are not high, frost-resistant. Cylindrical fruits weighing up to 450 gr. Fruit pulp without bitterness, with a creamy tint. The main advantage of this variety is its high yield.